Welcome to the dogbiz Dog Walking Academy online First Aid course
Written by experts for all Dog Lovers
This course covers the full syllabus for the 6 hour Canine First Aid course (plus much more) and conforms with the latest RECOVER guidelines for veterinary CPR.
Ideal for those working with dogs and pet owners to gain the skills and confidence to help in an emergency until veterinary support is available.
Dog First Aid Training Courses (Online)
- Illustrated step by step directions, flow charts, diagrams, videos and test yourself sections.
- Fully compatible with all computers and mobile devices, continuous access for 12 months
- Stop and start as often as you like
- Print your Certificate on completion.
This course is designed to give you the knowledge to help your pet or any other dog should an accident happen. The course has been created for DogBiz pet walkers and pet carers to equip you with the skills and confidence to help in an emergency until veterinary support is available.
You will learn vital skills such as prioritising injuries and knowing when to call the vet. Learn how to take a dog’s pulse, check if they are breathing, recognise if there is something seriously wrong and give CPR if necessary, recognition and treatment for common First Aid emergencies, including bleeding, choking, poisoning, head injuries, heat exhaustion, how to help if they were hit by a car and lots more. Including when to call the vet and how to safely transport the pet in your care to the vet if necessary.
Top tips, clear explanations, infographics, pictures, videos, step by step directions and test yourself sections. Stop and start as often as you like and retain full access for a whole year. Print your own certificate on completion.
- Action in an emergency
- Keep yourself safe
- Priorities of Treatment
- Preparing for an emergency
- How to muzzle a dog
- Helpful information
- What to put in your First Aid kit
- What the Vet needs to know
- The Primary Survey – How to help in an Emergency
- Breathing and Circulation
- Unresponsive and Breathing
- Recovery Position
- Unconscious and not breathing
- Choking and drowning
- How to help a choking dog
- Anaphylactic shock and acute allergic reaction
- What is an allergic reaction?
- Common triggers for reactions
- How to recognise an acute allergic reaction?
- How to Treat Anaphylaxis
- Wounds and bleeding
- How to treat a bleeding wound
- Different types of bleeds
- Embedded objects
- Symptoms of Shock
- Treatment of Shock
- Bite wounds
- Eye injuries
- Nose bleeds
- How to bandage a wounded limb
- Bites and Stings
- Bee and wasp stings
- Tick and flea bites
- Snake bite
- Animal bites
- How to treat a burn
- Causes of burns
- Size, Cause, Age, Location, Depth
- Electrical burns, chemical burns and smoke inhalation
- Poisoning Explanation
- Common poisons for dogs – Human foods
- Common poisons for dogs – non-foods
- Breaks, Sprains and Dislocations
- How do you know if they have broken a bone?
- Types of Fractures
- Treating broken bones
- Head Injuries
- Head Injuries
- Spinal Injuries
- Spinal Injury Basics
- Road Traffic accidents – how to help!
- Fitting / Seizures / Convulsions
- What is a seizure and why does it happen
- Seizures in dogs, what to do
- Extremes of body temperature
- Heat Exhaustion
- Heat Stroke
- Useful advice
- Final Lesson